The Judicial Academy and ASTRA – Action against human trafficking organized and conducted a training entitled “Responsible judiciary – Protection of victims of human trafficking in criminal proceedings” intended for judges, prosecutors, and lawyers from the area of Novi Sad. The training was held on May 10, 2023, at the Appellate Court premises in Novi Sad. Aim was o strengthening the capacity of representatives of the justice system who are in contact with victims of human trafficking involved in criminal proceedings.
Some of the topics on this occasion were:
- International and national legislation for fighting human trafficking;
- Elements of the criminal offense of human trafficking, Article 388 of the Criminal Code and its distinction from other, related criminal offenses;
- Rights of victims of human trafficking, including the right to compensation;
- Implementation of the non-punishment clause for victims;
- Procedural forms of protection for victims of human trafficking; and
- Techniques of examining victims of human trafficking.
The event was also an opportunity for the training participants to exchange experiences and good practices, share the challenges they face in their work, and consider potential solutions together.
The training is part of the project “Justice and Dignity for the human trafficking victims in criminal proceedings,” supported by the Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs at the Embassy of the United States of America in Serbia.