The Organization for European Security (OSCE), in cooperation with the National Commission for Combating Human Trafficking and Illegal Migration of the Government of the Republic of North Macedonia, organized a regional conference, HUMAN RIGHTS DUE DILIGENCE: Taking action against human trafficking and labour exploitation in supply chains, on May 11, 2023, in Skopje.
The conference is part of the OSCE’s efforts to support and encourage the adoption of concrete measures to prevent human trafficking in supply chains in member states and help build their capacities to implement those measures. Suppose states and the business sector manage to identify and eliminate the risks of labor trafficking within their supply chains. In that case, it can be expected to eliminate the market that encourages exploitation – this is one of the premises of these efforts.
On this occasion, the following were discussed:
- Legislative developments and recommended government measures;
- Best practices of Human Rights Due Diligence in government policy frameworks and legislation: Lessons learned;
- Human Rights Due Diligence in the Western Balkans: Regional efforts, strategies and cooperation;
- Human Rights Due Diligence in public procurement: OSCE Case Study and developments in the Western Balkans;
- Human Rights Due Diligence in the private sector: Best practice examples in the Western Balkans;
- Monitoring and enforcing Human Rights Due Diligence: Challenges in the access to remedy.
Director of ASTRA, Marija Anđelković, was one of the participants in the session dedicated to Human Rights Due Diligence in the Western Balkans: Regional efforts, strategies and cooperation. On that occasion, she spoke about ASTRA’s experiences in the field of combating human trafficking for labor exploitation, major cases that marked the organization’s work in previous years, and the findings of the Comparative Legal Analysis SUPPLY CHAIN DUE DILIGENCE AND LIABILITY in the Context of Trafficking in Human Being. ASTRA prepared this publication the last year, which presents the best legal solutions in this field at the international level and makes suggestions for improving domestic legislation.
A similar event recently took place in Belgrade. More about the event, find HERE!